The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham (Volume 3) - William Hutchinson - 1823 - Page


On the point of the hill are the remains of several vaults, which now lie open; the principal one to the south has a passage to a vault on the east, greatly ruined, and one to the north, now perfect; it seems that this structure had originally consisted of four vaults, all dark, but communicating with one another: the centre was a kind of column, in which is a staircase leading from the superstructure to the vaults: passing up these stairs, we ascended into a small apartment or turret, with a stone roof, of groined arching, having a circular opening in the centre: the rest of the superstructure is all gone, so that it is impossible to form any judgement what its original figure, or what extent it was. About fourscore yards from these remains, to the westward and some degree lower, is the square tower mentioned by Leland, placed on the edge of a precipice; but the hall, which we presumed by the ruins had stood adjacent to the tower, is gone down; the tower, which forms an oblong square, fronting to the south, and built of durable freestone, is now used as a farm-house; the walls are of a remarkable thickness, and the lower apartments seem to have been constructed for prisons, and not as household offices, though above ground.

Find it at Google Books